Thursday, April 12, 2012

Love Remains


As songs get written, they usually start out with one thought, motivation or spark of insight, and then continue traveling and expanding into other landscapes, picking up more meanings and insights along the way.

"Love Remains" started as a song about ending a relationship with someone while still hoping to one day get back together, thinking that maybe then things would be better. Most of us have been in that place before, clinging to that hope of one day being able to make things work. Though most often we find it doesn't usually work out that way.

The song then came to reflect the peace I'd made with a different relationship in my life. One that was very difficult for me, one where I just wanted to stay angry at this person forever and never dig deep enough to find compassion and forgiveness for a person that I'd once cared so much about.

So far, its been my greatest life lesson about Love.

I truly didn't think I would regain the capacity to bring full love and forgiveness to this relationship, but there came a time where I could almost taste that residual anger like a poison, and I knew it was killing me. I knew it wasn't me.

So, after about two years of holding on, I let it go...

And finally, "Love Remains" brings a smile to my face as I remember my beautiful friend Matt. The one who was known for his LoVE sign.

His passing is a reminder that LoVE truly remains. People will come and go in our lives, all of our lives...but the LoVE of these relationships, the LoVE of our connections with each other's hearts, ALWAYS remains.

So, what about you? What does "Love Remains" mean to you?
Where in your life have you remembered or forgotten that Love remains?

Whatever the answers...they are yours to sing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment